Mark your calendar! Monday, January 23, St. Helen Catholic Church will host a blood drive from 12:00 noon to 5:00 p.m. Donors will be able to give whole blood and Power Red donations.
The following may help you prepare to donate:
• Hydrate. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids on the day of your donation.
• Wear something comfortable. Wear clothing with sleeves that can easily be rolled up above the elbow.
• Maintain a healthy level of iron in your diet before donating. If possible, include iron-rich foods in your diet, especially in the weeks before your donation.
• Eat a healthy meal before your donation. Avoid fatty foods like hamburgers, fries or ice cream, as the fat contained may hinder the Red Cross’s ability to test for infectious diseases.
• Get a good night’s sleep.
• Bring a list of medications you are taking. The Red Cross will need to know about any prescription and/or over-the-counter medications that may be in your system.
• Bring an ID. Please bring either your donor card, driver’s license or two other forms of identification.
• Bring a friend. Bring along a friend, so you may both enjoy the benefits of giving blood.
• Relax! Blood donation is a simple and very safe procedure, so there is nothing to worry about.
Whole blood and platelet donors must be in good general health and feeling well, at least 17 years old – or 16 with parental consent – and weigh at least 110 pounds. Read More →